|Version 2 (modified by mglb1, 7 years ago) (diff)|
PXE Booting Rural Link Devices
To install and configure a new Rural Link device follow these steps. It is assumed that you are familiar with operating a Soekris/WRAP board via the serial port and have access to a serial console (eg. minicom) that is configured at the correct speed.
- Attach Soekris/WRAP to PXE Boot network and power on
- At the BIOS prompt choose PXE Boot
- Soekris - Press Ctrl-P, then type 'boot f0'
- WRAP - ??
- At the PXELinux prompt type rurallink
- This step may not be required if the host is only used to PXE boot RuralLink devices. It is required if you are using puck.
- Wait for the PXE script to load
At this point the device autoinstall process will start and will take about 3 minutes to complete. After it has completed you will be returned to the PXE script menu. Choose option 5 to reboot. Your RuralLink Device is now ready to configure via the Setup Wizard.
The autoinstall process will assign the device a serial number and record the MAC addresses of the board and wireless cards in the asset database. Autoinstalled devices are configured to act as client nodes. See the following section for how to create a Master node.
If you do not want to autoinstall the device there is a 10 second timeout after the PXE script has loaded during which you can press any key to go straight to the PXE script menu.
Creating Master Nodes
The process of creating a master node is not yet automated...
- Set is_master=True in the rurallink section of /etc/ccsd/rurallink-monitor.conf
- apt-get install pdnsd