With classes out of the way, I feel like I have finally managed to get enough of a grasp on what is going on in pox to actually have made some progress.
I modified the pox l2 switch controller code to make it use wildcards. There are two versions of this, the one that uses what is available in openvswitch but requires imaginary pox commands and the one that might actually work but does so by hijacking the vlan id field and uses it to differentiate traffic that needs to be checked for source/inport and traffic that needs to be forwarded.
So now I am back up against my constant arch-nemesis of installing things in linux. I think I have openvswitch running, so next is some virtual machines to try to send things through openvswitch. Then, actually trying to get pox to communicate with ovs, which, tbh, I am somewhat apprehensive about.. Plan is to have this all done next week.